Wednesday 3 March 2010

Terry Teahan & Gene Kelly - Old Time Irish Music in America (1977)

320 kbps



Terry Teahan & Gene Kelly - Old Time Irish Music in America
(Topic - 12TS352 - 1977)

Recorded by Mick Moloney in 1976, the album features Kilkenny-born C#/D accordion player Gene Kelly, and Terry 'Cuz' Teahan, a melodeon player who was a native of Gleanntán in Co. Kerry. Teahan's name will be familiar from a number of polkas and slides associated with his playing, and a number of compositions, including the fling 'The Man from Gleanntán' which he composed in honour of Pádraig O'Keeffe, his one-time teacher at Gleanntán National School. Most of the tunes are played on their own, with a few sets from the unusual accordion playing of Gene Kelly, who admits to possessing a 'totally haphazard' approach to bass acompaniment... Many of the tunes will be well-known, particularly to those who are fond of music from Sliabh Luachra, but the settings are often unfamiliar, granting a glimpse into the dance music of the region in the 1920s. More information can be found in the original liner notes, which are included in the download.


1. Gene Kelly – The Corner House/The Broomstick [Reels]
2. Terry Teahan – Tom Looney's [Slide]
3. Terry Teahan – Reagan's [Slide]
4. Gene Kelly – The Sweep's/Hennessey's [Hornpipes]
5. Terry Teahan – The Kerry Mills [Barndance]
6. Terry Teahan – Mike Howard's [Polka]
7. Terry Teahan – The Bird's [Hornpipe]
8. Gene Kelly – Blind Mary [Air]
9. Terry Teahan – The Barrel Organ [Slide]
10. Terry Teahan – The Evening I Spent with Mick [Slide]
11. Terry Teahan – The Paper Plate [Slide]
12. Gene Kelly - Fahey's/Gerry's Beaver Hat [Jigs]
13. Terry Teahan – The Lonesome Road to Dingle [Slide]
14. Terry Teahan – Mickey Chewing Bubble Gum [Polka]
15. Gene Kelly – Seán Hayes/If There Weren't Any Women in the World [Barndances]
16. Terry Teahan – Tadgh's Ailment [Hornpipe]
17. TerryTeahan – Going for Water [Slide]
18. Gene Kelly – The Old Caubeen [Story & Air]
19. Terry Teahan – Tadgh and Biddy [Waltz]
20. Terry Teahan – Poll Ha'Penny [Hornpipe]
21. Terry Teahan – Paddy Kenny's [Polka]
22. Gene Kelly – Father O'Flynn/The Connaughtman's Rambles [Jigs]
23. Terry Teahan – Jack Mitchell's [Polka]
24. Terry Teahan – Gan Ainm [Sword Dance]
25. Terry Teahan – The Road to Gleanntán [Fling]
26. Gene Kelly – The Swallow's Tail/Miss McLeod [Reels]

Download

10 comments:

  1. Thanks always:)

    but i got CRC error on "08 Blind Mary [Air].mp3".
    please fix the link.

    thanks again :)

    Lizardson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again! I have a cassette with the Terry Teahan tunes from this which always meant to digitise - this saves me the work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks, lovely music!

    I have just some trouble with the track 8, I can't extract it...
    But you make a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've re-uploaded the whole file. Let me know if there are any other problems.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It uncompressed fine for me. Lovely record.

    I like a lot of the sliabh luachra's traditional music (as well as the "american sliabh luachra's music"). The variety of dances and styles amuses me.

    I did never heard about a "fling" I must confess (and the one on the record is dedicated to Pedraig O'Keefe!) - and I must also confess that I thought that the "story and air" on the record would also be another kind of dance called "story" followed by an air (no, it is just a story followed by an air lol)

    All The Best,Tiago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much thanks, Dragut. Have hunted after this LP for years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome.

    Funny you should say that KLR, I was hunting it for ages, then somebody gave me their spare copy at a session, completely out of the blue! Then that night when I got home, it was up for auction on Ebay...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    I've just stumbled upon your blog - so brilliant, I have been looking for some of these albums for years - the ones that I knew to exist! Appreciating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I just discovered this site, but the mediafire.com link seems to be dead. Is the album still available somewhere?

    ReplyDelete